Tuesday 17 May 2011

Practice

No flyball tournament this weekend so on Sunday we had training as normal.

We are working on speeding up my run backs from the box at the moment. So I did loads of run backs to a tuggie.

What you do is wait...


Then zoom over the jumps...


And catch up, grab ...



and have a good play with the tuggie.


The idea is that some flyball dogs are mainly motivated by getting the ball and then slow down running back from the box. So introducing a tuggie to run back to improves your motivation and speed.(apparently)

We also did some work on my swimmers turns. As well as turning you also have to catch the tennis ball that is sprung out of the box when you hit and trigger it.

This is YouTube video taken at a recent Flyball tournament of us turning. There are clips of me and the rest of my team in real time and then again in slow motion. Its fairly easy to spot Black and Tan me and little Chip.



Aren't we good at it !

After all that exercise I think I need a bit of a rest !


14 comments:

The Army of Four said...

The zooming looks like a LOT more fun than the waiting part!
Play bows,
Zim

Ryker said...

Yeah, I think I would have trouble with the waiting part too. Guess that is what makes you and Chip pros!

K-Koira said...

Do you purposefully train for dogs to be lower on the box for that style box? I noticed a lot of the dogs don't even put a single back foot on, which over here is considered poor.

Your turns are really good, but I noticed Chip was double hitting with his front feet, which might be something you want to work on with him.

(Not criticizing, just trying to give input as another flyball trainer who may have new eyes or different experiences.)

Valerie said...

There's more to flyball than I thought, goodness me - all the dogs do very well, especially you and Chip.

Michelle said...

Whew! A lot of training, but it does seem to be worth it.

An English Shepherd said...

Thanks for the input K-Koira and everyones comments :-)

No we are training for dogs to turn high as well. Chips has normally a super fast turn' for 7" height dog.

The videos were taken in the height of racing at the end of the tournament so its not of very good training turns :-)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Gosh, we thought you were incredibly fast already, hard to believe you can improve on that. But the tuggie game seems to make a lot of sense. Good luck with your practice.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Anonymous said...

Yes you are good at it. I have been a bit behind in reading posts as we have been working in the gardens but I am catching up on your posts and want to congratulate your whole family for all the firsts!!! Well done and what a beautiful family picture with your ribbons. You sure are fast and great on those turns!!

Taryn said...

Really enjoyed the video! Especially the slo-mo! It is neat to see the mechanics of getting the ball and turning.

Sophie said...

Flyball practice looks fun! Wizz and Chip's turns on the box are great too, much faster than my silly dogs could ever be (if we did flyball, that is) :)

Anonymous said...

I just received a message from this site from an Majid. I don't see it here in your comments so I hope you deleted it. It looks like a spam message to me and I certainly would never visit a site like that even for one second!!!

An English Shepherd said...

No Doreen I not seen or deleted any spam on blogs comment post . Let me know if happens again !

ForPetsSake said...

Smart to use the tuggie like this. Keeps the pup motivated throughout :)

Prettypics123 said...

Wizz, you are a beauty! The tuggy. I noticed that trainers/owners used that as a reward during agility trials at Manzanita the other week. Interesting. I like that. But Gingee gets a tuggy whenever she wants it. Don't know how to transition to as a reward for something.